quinta-feira, 5 de agosto de 2010

Asleep in the Bread Aisle.

I've been wanting to make a blog about (music) my life for quite a while. What made me decide starting it today was Asher Roth. Asher Roth is a rapper from USA, 24 years old. I was looking up Eminem's enemies when I got to read about Cage. And after looking up for 'Cage rapper' in Google, I saw a picture of Asher. I read the text under it, you know, to make sure it was indeed Cage. Good thing I did. I read about how he had released an album in 2009. So I listened to it.
My first thought while listening it was, 'MYGOD, his voice is a lot like Eminem's!'. And it is. It's amazing, sometimes I get the feeling that I'm listening to Eminem. That bothers me a little bit. For one thing, Eminem is the best, one and only. And second, I wasn't sure what Asher thought of Em and what Em thought or Ahser (next time I'll use 'vice-versa'). I cooled down after finding out Em thinks Asher is dope and vice-versa (see ?).
I started by 'I love college', his first single. I'm in college, and I love college. I thought I'd relate to it. Not so much. He talks slow (sings, sorry). And I couldn't make it to the end of the song. Went straight to 'As I Em', in which he talks about Eminem.
He doesn't say much, really. He just says that Em was (and still is) great, that he respects him and that people keep remembering him because of Em. I think he was just trying to avoid a fight. Smart of him. Em thinks he's dope.
He's cool, though. I listened then to 'Blunt Cruisin', which is cool. But that's all. Then 'Be by myself', 'Bad day' (which I loved, really good!), until I found the one I'm listening to right now (by the way, I don't usually follow the order from the album). 'She don't wanna man'. First of all, since I'm brazilian and English isn't really my mother language (though it feels second nature to me), the obvious grammar mistake there bothers me a little bit. Well, at least it did. 'Cause the song is great. The beat is good. The rhyms are good. It starts well, goes on well and makes you wanna listen to it again after it ends well.
I'm really more used to the heavy rap from Eminem, talking about serious stuff (when not dissing everybody). So Asher's subjects when rapping seem a bit too silly to me at first sight. But after a while (which doesn't take long), you're even grateful that, for once, somebody is making a rap without risking his life. Or money (you know, if he gets sued).
Overall, it's a great album. Especially since it's his first solo album. Asher Roth is 24 years old. I'm guessing I'm gonna see a lot of him in the future. He'll last.

L.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário